Skip to main content
Pincher Creek Logo Logo to Home

Municipal District of

Pincher Creek


Road Closures

The MD has established Policy 123 Purchase, Sale, and Disposal of Road Allowances regarding sale of an MD road (including a statutory road allowance), if it is no longer required.

The first step to closing a road (or statutory road allowance), is to seek permission from Council. A written submission is required, outlining your request and including the legal land description of the road and interest in the road.

Council then determines if the road (or statutory road allowance) can be closed. To proceed with the closure, a road closure processing fee is required from the applicant.  Surveying and plan registration fees may also be required, and these fees are the responsibility of the applicant.  The applicant may also be required to purchase the land within the road plan at fair market value.

Some roads (or statutory road allowances) can be closed by a resolution while some need a new bylaw written.

Referral notifications, utility company notifications, and approval from the Minister of Transportation are required with the road closure process.

For more information, please contact us .